Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Flea Market Shopping


I headed down to the local flea market early yesterday morning to buy some brand new rolls of 5/8 inch wide ribbon.  I did not find any seller carrying the colors I needed but I did not come home empty-handed.  I took these photos with my not-so great camera phone but still want to share.





This seller carries both items for industrial and domestic sewing machines.  Brought home some Class 66 bobbins for my little green Singer 185 J, they were only 5 for $1.00.  I also purchased an invisible zipper foot for my straight stitch industrial for $6.00.  A steal really.

Look at all the vintage machines this seller has rescued and repaired for sale!  The prices start from $80.00 and up but I think they are a great deal considering that they will last a really long time due their metal gears.  In addition, mechanical sewing machines can easily be maintained by you if you clean and oil them regularly.  An added bonus to purchasing a vintage sewing machine is that you prevent them from ending up in the landfill.



I visited other vendors to have a look at fabric, zippers and buttons.  Buttons were $1.00 for 2 dozen, there were 18 inch long zippers for a quarter each.  All items were priced rather cheaply but I resisted buying because I have plenty of buttons and zippers, enough to last me a few years.


Those large thread cones were being sold here for $1.00 each.


Buttons - 2 dozen for $1.00


Home Decor Fabrics


Zippers, Thread and Velcro



Sewing Machine Repair

This vendor will fix your sewing machine on the spot for almost half the price of a brick and mortar Vac & Sew.
He also sharpens scissors.  He found a very hard-to-find foot controller for one of my Singer sewing machines for $20.00.  A deal compared to the $75+ prices I came across online.

Lining


I was glad to see that there were many fabric and notion customers which means that somewhere, people are sewing but I have yet to meet a fellow sewist in my immediate area.

No comments:

Post a Comment